Calendar of Events
Did You Know?
- The university offers maternity benefits for graduate students who become pregnant or adopt?
- It takes a few weeks (or months) for the health care subsidy to be included in one's student account, so please don't despair if you don't see it right away.
Student Accounts will, upon request, calculate how much you owe for health care and other charges (including rent if you live on campus, parking pass, etc.) on your student account and automatically deduct it from your stipend per paycheck.
- The Writing Center reviews grad student's manuscripts, teaching statements, and/or grant applications.
- Notre Dame has a full service dry cleaning/tailor shop on campus.
Notre Dame Hockey tickets are free with a student ID.
- Various local businesses offer discounts to Notre Dame students with ID.
- The Library offers Dissertation Boot Camp once a year.
- You can add Domer Dollars via credit card on the food services website.
- If you say that you're a student and show your ID at any ND restaurant/store you won't pay tax.
- The library is taking a more active stance at getting involved in your life, check out some of their events
- Tippecanoe Place Restaurant is a premiere landmark in the heart of South Bend’s historic district. Once the mansion owned by the infamous Studebakers, Tippecanoe Place Restaurant serves the South Bend community, inspiring reminiscence of the charm and grace of yesteryear.
- The South Bend Silver Hawks, South Bend’s local amateur baseball team, received their name from ownership as a tribute to the Studebaker Silver Hawk automobile that was once manufactured across the street from the stadium from 1957 to 1961.
- The Morris Performing Arts Center, located in the heart of downtown South Bend, has the "HOTTEST Tickets in Town" for Pop, Rock, Country, and Christian concerts, as well as national touring Broadway shows and comedians. Additionally, the Morris is home to both the Broadway Theatre League of South Bend, Inc. and the South Bend Symphony Orchestra. The Southold Dance Theater also performs the beloved holiday classic The Nutcracker at the Morris each December.
- South Bend’s annual event On the River completely transforms a portion of the South Bend city into a full-fledged beach, bringing a large-scale summer beach bash to the area including live music, beach volleyball and cornhole tournaments, as well as other events intended both for families and young adults. All proceeds benefit the Center for the Homeless.
- Bus fare on the local SBTranspo is free at all time to students, faculty, and staff of the University of Notre Dame and Saint Mary’s College just with a show of a valid ND ID.
- South Bend is only less than an hour away from a slew of southern Michigan wineries, that welcome wine-tasting experiences for very nominal prices. In fact, the GSU has recently coordinated social events including touring of this area.
- Bleachers Pub & Grill in Mishawaka on Grape Road is the one spot in town for karaoke singing any day of the week.
- The Club Michiana as well as the Young Professionals Club of South Bend offer fun social, service, and sporting events with cool young professionals in the area who want to meet other cool young professionals like yourself.
- South Bend’s Potawatomi Zoo is Indiana’s oldest zoo, built in 1902.
- The designer of Epcot Center’s Japanese gardens has also designed the Japanese Friendship gardens in Mishawaka, IN (South Bend’s sister city)
- South Bend was home to the “Father of Mother’s Day,” Frank Herring, who in 1904 proposed that a special day be set aside to honor mothers. Ten years later, Congress made the second Sunday of May the official Mother’s Day.
- For $11.75 you can ride the South Shore line to Millennium Station in downtown Chicago.
- The South Bend airport is the only transportation depot that has bus, train, and airplane transportation options.
- South Bend produces 3,000 pounds of chocolate daily at the South Bend Chocolate Company.
- Notre Dame is not the only haven for higher education in South Bend: Bethel College, Holy Cross College, Indiana University South Bend, St. Mary’s College, Ivy Tech, Purdue College of Technology, Tri-State University-South Bend, Brown Mackie College, and Indiana Institute of Technology Extended Studies Division all call South Bend their home!
- South Bend is about 30 minutes from the Indiana Dues National Lakeshore park, where you can swim, hike, enjoy the beach with a skyline of Chicago in the distance, and see Cowels Bog, the only remaining site of wild white cedar in the state.
- Enjoy the outdoors in South Bend by renting canoes or kayaks at St. Patrick’s County park, or try white water rafting at the East Race Waterway!